Friday, July 30, 2010

Monkeys, a Hill Town, and Tunak Tunak Tun Da Da Da




Manki Point, Kasauli
Clump, clump went my feet, up the stairs. I was on the tenth step and already tired. We had to walk up 1 kilometer of steps to reach Manki Point. I was assuming that Manki Point was just a place where monkeys do tricks and run around. I was panting up the stairs. I was the last one of everyone. I was taking my time. Slowly, my foot reached the next step. Then the next. Tired and breathless, I tried to step one more step. I grabbed the railing and hoisted myself up. This is harder than Nubra Valley, I thought because we had to walk up steep stairs instead. One foot after another, I reached a platform that led to a bench. Because I was the last in line, I kept on going. I was out of breath. How the heck would I get up there, I thought. In the distance, I saw a small sign. Assuming it was a sign for Manki Point, with all my left over might, I ran up the stairs. It ended up being a sign that God made Manki Point. What a waste of energy. After 15 minutes of one step and another up the stairs, we reached a sign that said, Please Take off Your Shoes. Which was basically ridiculous, because it was hot and we still had more stairs to climb. Looking at my feet, I made sure I didn't step on anything sharp. In the distance, I saw a temple. A temple? I thought there was supposed to be monkeys. When I reached the top, all I saw was two dogs, a temple, and an amazing view. It was like it was split in half. One side it was all cloudy. The other side was all green. In the distance I could see little tiny houses. After asking Mom, I found out that it was Manki Point, because Hanuman (a monkey god), when he was rushing to Ram put his left foot on the point where the temple was built. In the end it was worth it. Seeing the view and knowing that Hanuman put his left foot right where that temple was.

-Pari













Simla
Uhhh, I don't feel so well. I feel kind of dizzy. We were at Shimla (aka Simla). Mom said I was feeling a little car sick. As we went up this elevator to Shimla, I started feeling a little bit better. When I felt good we started walking in Shimla. Shimla is this little town in the mountains with no cars (except for the police) and it's full of shops. I really wanted to buy something. We bought some popcorn and Mirinda (orange soda). Mom showed us that our cousins lived in this small house, right down an alley in Shimla. We went down to the house and they served us so much food. We didn't eat alot, because we were still queasy from the drive from Kasauli. Tripti Didi wanted to show us a church. She told us there were some Christians in Shimla. The church, which you see in the picture, is a church that looks like any normal church. On the schedule I saw there was a thing in English and a thing in Hindi. Inside the church we looked around. As we exited the church I read a small poster that said, I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" And he said, "This much," and he stretched out his arms and died. From the church we went to another shop to get ice cream dipped in chocolate. Boy, it tasted it good. I got a double cone because mine kept dripping. When we were going out of Shimla we saw these very cool toys. I was itching to buy something. On our way back to the car, Mom let us go in one shop to buy something. I got a keychain and Pari got one too. We also got one for Nani, our grandma, because she was born in Shimla and got engaged in Shimla. When we were driving out of Shimla, I asked mom if we could go again one day. I love Shimla.

- Kieran










Daler Mehndi
Hey Look, There's Daler Mehndi, someone shouted. Ha, Ha, I said. Nice joke, because all I saw was people minding there own business. We were at the Taj Hotel in Chandigargh. Why the heck, would Daler Mehndi be there? Then mom said, Why would Meenu Didi lie? But she had this weird smile on her face, pretending, trying to make me look like a fool. Slowly, Bobby Bhaiya scootched his chair and asked Kieran and Me, Do you want to get a picture with him? Wait a second, I said, I really have to make sure he's real. Because if he's not, I'll be asking to take a picture with some random guy. So I cautiously got out of my seat and started walking toward the entrance of the Taj. Then I spotted him, Daler Mehndi. It was really him. I was so embarrassed, I rushed back. Meanwhile Kieran and Bobby Bhaiya were walking behind me. I went back, but Kieran and Bobby Bhaiya kept on walking. When I got there and said it was really Daler Mehndi, Mom started pushing me. I mean really pushing me. Mom said, come on honey, go go, go. I walked a few steps then turned back. What if this guy didn't want to take a picture. They pushed me again. They did this three or four times. Finally I went. I ran towards them. I scootched toward Kieran and Bobby Bhaiya . Bobby had just asked if we could take a picture. Luckily I was there when he said, Sure. So Bobby Bhaiya pushed us toward him and I slammed into his big belly and bounced off. Sorry, I murmured. He wrapped his arm around me and FLASH, the picture went off. Luckily I didn't blink. That's how we got the picture.

-Pari
(For the uninitiated: quintessential Daler Mehndi).

No comments:

Post a Comment